Company History

Dean & Smedley has its origins in the business of Arthur Alwyn Dean, who traded as "A A Dean". He bought an existing pharmacy on Horninglow Road in Burton in 1927. This is the same address as our present pharmacy, although it has grown somewhat since A A Dean's day!

After the Second World War, the shop was taken over by his son, John Dean. John Dean married a pharmacist who had been his apprentice. She had subsequently owned a pharmacy in Derby, trading under her own name as "Joan Smedley", and when they married an amalgamation to form a Limited Company was decided upon. The obvious name was "Dean & Smedley Ltd" and this came into existence in 1946.

Over the intervening years various businesses have been bought and sold. John Dean died in 1967 and the business was then run by Joan Dean. Their son, Richard Dean, joined the business in 1971 and became Managing Director a few years later. Joan Dean (nee Smedley) died in 2008 and Richard's daughter Lucy joined the company in 2009.

Dean & Smedley currently have eleven pharmacies within a 15 mile radius of Burton and also central distribution facilities. We aim to run a family-type business, with each pharmacy catering for the particular needs of the area in which it is situated but with the emphasis on a caring professional service and a wide range of competitively priced goods, attractively displayed and with a personal service from friendly, well-trained staff.